Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Forgotten Way

I started reading Alan Hirsch's book "The Forgotten Way- reactivating the missional church". Alan Hirsch is a a key missional leader, educator, and strategist who has had influence in my journey as I grapple with issues in mission. I remember interviewing him for an assignment when I was at Bible College, and his answers to my questions really blew me away.

In the introduction of the book, Alan had the following two quotes, which really made me think:


"A church which pitches its tents without constantly looking out for new horizons, which does not continually strike camp, is being untrue to its calling.
. . . [We must] play down our longing for certainty, accept what is risky, and live by improvisation and experiment."

Hans Kung, The Church as the People of God

Yes that's true. I am by nature quite an organised & structured person, but this reminder from Hans Kung tells me the importance of not be too rigid in my approach, and the longing for certainty! Flexibility is the key for mission work.


"After a time of decay comes the turning point. The powerful light that has been banished returns. There is movement, but it is not brought about by force. . . . The movement is natural, arising spontaneously. The old is discarded and the new is introduced. Both measures accord with the time; therefore no harm results."
Ancient Chinese Saying

With me in a new season of my life and ministry, this ancient Chinese saying really encourages me (although I am Chinese, I haven't heard of it until I read this book - thank you Alan). The powerful light, the spontanesous movement, the new thing and the turning point are want I am looking forward to.

Alan asked the following important questions in his book which really provoked my thinking (especially in the context of the contemporary Western world / church):

"How did the number of Christians in the world grow from as few as 25,000 one hundred years after Christ’s death to up to 20 million in AD 310? How did the Chinese underground church grow from 2 million to over 100 million in sixty years despite considerable opposition?"

10 comments:

Sivin Kit said...

Hi there, now I'm even more excited to get my own copy of the book!

Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Sivin, long time no 'chat'. How have you been? Yeah this is a great book, and I can't wait to learning more from Alan Hirsch through it.

audrey` said...

Hi Kitty

Trust that everything is going on well for you =)
Our Lord is your shepherd.
He is your best guide.

Take care.

(((HUGS)))

Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Audrey,

Yes things are good for me sis =) Thanks so much for you care and concern.

(((HUGS)))

audrey` said...

Dear Dear Kitty =)

You're tagged...
HeHe!

Anonymous said...

nothing can stop the Word of God from being spread and from people accepting Jesus in their lives.

Corry said...

Kitty, you are always so encouraging in all you say and consider. God bless you, girl.

Have a blessed Sunday, dear sister.

God's Grace.

Kitty Cheng said...

Dear Audrey, thanks for tagging me hehe!!

Kitty Cheng said...

Dear Pia, Amen!

Kitty Cheng said...

Corry, thanks for your encouragement sister.I am humbled by it. God Bless you!