Sunday, December 20, 2009

Are You Part Of Advent Conspiracy?



Three weeks ago a good friend of mine from the US asked me the above question. I had no idea what Advent Conspiracy (AC) was. She told me about it, and invited me to join the movement. (If you don't know what it is, you can find out more through their website on http://www.adventconspiracy.org/). I was so touched by the principles and concepts behind AC, but quickly forgot about it due to busyness. Tonight I was reminded of AC from the video at church, and decided to spread the word.

Christmas has the power to change the world. So, what happened? What was once a time to celebrate the birth of a savior has somehow turned into a season of stress, traffic jams and shopping lists.

And when it's all over, many of us are left with presents to return, looming debt that will take months to pay off, and this empty feeling of missed purpose. Is this what we really want out of Christmas?

What if Christmas became a world-changing event again?

My new family has a 'no-gift' policy - all money for "Christmas shopping" will go to meaningful causes instead. Like one of the ethos of AC, we prefer giving presence over giving presents, for the sake of it. And we are determined to celebrate the reason for the season - Jesus Christ our Saviour! We vote compassion over consumption!

I want to encourage you to join this movement, and I pray that the Lord will use it mightily for HIS glory.

Wishing you all a blessed & joy-filled Christmas, as you celebrate the birth of our Lord, spend time with loved ones, and reflect on the glorious gospel and the wonderful news of Immanuel - God with us!

1 comment:

audrey` said...

Blessed Christmas to you and your loved ones, Kitty =)