Friday, January 13, 2006

Ned Kelly - Such Is Life?

Yesterday I went to watch a film shown in the National Gallery of Victoria (Ian Potter Centre) in the Federation Square in Melbounre. The film was about the story of the bushranger Ned Kelly.

For those of you who don't know, Ned Kelly is one of Australia's most well-known historical figures. When people are asked what they think of Ned Kelly, the answers are usually fairly extreme. They either see him as a hero who fought for his family and friends, or a bushranger who robbed banks, stole livestock and murdered policemen.

During Ned's short life he was arrested for horse stealing, assault and bank robbery. After more bank robberies, the Kelly Gang's had their 'last stand' in the small town of Glenrowan, Victoria, where they took 60 hostages in a hotel. In the battle with police three gang members - Dan Kelly, Joe Byrne and Steve Hart - were killed and a wounded Ned was arrested and charged with the murder of a policeman. Ned Kelly was tried and convicted of the murder of Constable Lonigan at Stringybark Creek and hanged at the Melbourne Gaol.

In the film, the last words that Ned Kelly said before he was hanged was 'such is life'. It sounded so sad and hopeless! That really made me think. Is life supposed to be like that? Honestly, I don't know what to make of Ned Kelly. One thing I know, Ned Kelly (whether he was a hero, or a murderer), as well as anyone of us, need the forgiveness of sin from God.

8 comments:

Mark D said...

It certainly does make you think when you read or hear about stories like that. Wow. It will be interesting when we get to heaven to see how everything played out. I'm sure there will be people in heaven who we are surprised to see and others who we expected to see but do not.

Kimber said...

I don't think I could watch such a movie...it would be to heart breaking for me...but, I do agree with Mark's comments :)

Thanks for sharing Kitty.

Matthew Celestine said...

Life without Christ is utterly without hope.

God Bless

Matthew

Kitty said...

I agree with Mark, it'll be so interesting to see who will be there in heaven. People like Ned Kelly, though a 'sinner', had the opportunity to hear of Christ (he was brought up in a Catholic church apparently). Yet whether his life was with or without Christ is really unknown. Surly like Matthew said, hope is only found in Christ though.

Yes Kimber, my heart ached when I saw that movie.

Anonymous said...

kitty, thank you so much for all the prayers. God bless and luv yah, sis.

Kitty Cheng said...

You are very welcome Pia.

An Ordinary Christian said...

I too wonder who will be in heaven when we get there. I have relatives that I don't think will be there, but who knows? God knows. I have another relative that I think will be there. I hope so. But when people don't realize what this life means, and say things like, "such is life," it really is sad, because this life is temporary and eternity is really long, and what we do now MATTERS. So, press on.

Kitty Cheng said...

yes let's press on Andrea.