The patients in Dr Russell’s book were successful in finding and applying what worked for them. Dr Russell did spot common themes, which I find very informative, including:
- Acceptance – This is the first step to taking control to one’s life.
- Knowledge – "With time and experience, people can develop the wisdom to manage their illness and stay well.
- Sleep – "A crucial ingredient to staying well."
- Stress – "It is not always possible to avoid stress. It is possible, however, to develop strategies to minimize the impact of stress." (I find writing journals, on blogs and spending time in prayer and devotion extremely useful to deal with stress)
- Lifestyle – Diet, exercise, sleep, etc.
- Awareness and insight of triggers and mood states - This includes fatigue, jet lag, hormonal fluctuations, stress, lack of sleep.
- Interventions – such as canceling social engagements and getting a few good sleeps.
- Medication – "The right medication at the right dose."
- Support – "Outside insight" is often welcomed.