Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Social Styles

Mark suggested this questionaire on personality in his blog. I've done personality tests on DISC and Meyers Briggs, but never learned about these four personality types on social styles (namely: amiable, analytical, expressive and driver). So I found it quite interesting.

The questionaire showed that I was 40% expressive, 30% each in amiable and driver, and not analytical at all (?? ). I was chatting with a new friend the other night, and after I discussed with him about psychology and philosophy etc, he said that I seemed to be an analytical kind of person. So I guess these kinds of personality tests can't be seen as 'the gospel', although they do indicate a pattern I believe.

According to this test, I am an EXPRESSIVE type (High Responsiveness, High Assertiveness). I guess the result is quite correct, as I do like other people's company, and I enjoy expressing myself (I have to be careful not to be too aggressive though). In conflict, I can become emotional, prone to exaggeration and unpredictable.

Summary of an expressive type:

Characteristics: People orientated, centre of attention, positive, emotional, talkative, enthusiastic, dramatic.

In conflict: Unpredictable, emotional.

Solutions: Allow them time to gain composure, Ask questions, problem solve.

Basic Need: Recognition

I agree with what Mark said, "It is yet another example of the way God made each and every one of us unique. We can work to improve our weaknesses without destroying our individuality. I'll bet it annoys God when we compare ourselves to others or try to be someone who we just weren't made to be."

Try the test yourselves, and tell me what type / style you are if you like:

http://www.yourlearningcurve.co.uk/Newsletter/LM01.htm

17 comments:

Amanda Hunt said...

I did the test. I am:

30% Analytical
30% Expressive
30% Driver
10% Amiable

Hmmmm, sounds about right!

Mark D said...

Hi Kitty!

What a nice surprise (mentioning my post and all). It's funny, I remember I was almost equal in everything when I took a LONG test a year ago. It had a reliability check that would measure someone's consistency to make sure they weren't just putting what they thought was looked upon as being "best". Mine was very consistent, but analytical did come in last. I just took the online one and here is where I ended up:
35% amiable
30% expressive
30% driver
5% analytical
I guess I should not have kidded around with you on the comment on my blog about your zero in analytical - I'm not much better Ha Ha. I guess I should stay away from doing my own taxes (actually, I do always have someone else do them).
:)
The funny thing is that most people in technology tend to be the logical-mathematical type with a VERY analytical mindset. Hmmmm.

An Ordinary Christian said...

Hi. Personality tests can be fun. I didn't take this one yet. I enjoy studying personalities. I should probably blog about it more.

Matthew Celestine said...

The Myers Briggs test is so fantastic. I am an INTJ. I often try to guess what other people are.

God Bless

Matthew

Kitty Cheng said...

hehe Amanda....looks like you and I are quite similar except that you are much more analytical than i am ;)

Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Mark, I've never done my own taxes before LOL. Well I shouldn't be in technology either!

Kitty Cheng said...

Andrea, yes i enjoy doing personality tests as they give us an opporunity to reflect on ourselves. Yes blog more about them so I can learn more too ;)

Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Matthew, from what you know about me, what Myers Briggs combination do you think I am?

audrey` said...

HaHaHa!
This is so interesting =P

Matthew Celestine said...

Let me guess.

Without wanting to generalize, Asians tend to be more Introvert, so I would guess Introversion.

Definitely Intuitition.

Probably Feelings.

Not sure about Perceiving or Judging. I would hazard a guess at Judging, but I could be wrong.

So, I suspect INFJ. I could be wrong, I do not really know you.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Garth said...

I think these tests are very interesting especially when we do them and then someone does them for us and arrives at a different answer. I wonder somehow whether I am my best judge ...or not!

Kitty Cheng said...

haha Matthew, your guesses were pretty correct, three out of four...well you're right, most asians tend to be more introverted, but I am a more 'westernised' asian. I am actually an extrovert in all personality testings, can't you tell from my writings?? hehe. So I am ENFJ.

Why do you think that I am definitely intuition?

Kitty Cheng said...

hey audrey, have u tried doing the test yourself dear?

Kitty Cheng said...

yes Garth, I often wonder the same thing...at times I think other people might know me better than I do muself :)

Matthew Celestine said...

Well, that was a good guess.

My mother is an ENFJ. They tend to be very good at interpersonal things like counselling and teaching.

You are very creative. Intuitive people see the world in terms of possibilities. Hence, you are obviously intuitive.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Godwyn Lim said...

Hi Kity,

I tried the personality test. Hiak!

Analytical 20%
Amiable 15%
Expressive 20%
Driver 45%

I would say the test is quite accurate in some ways. I pray to have Jesus's way in me daily:-)

He is our living God, The Lord is always with us Amen?!

Everyone have a good week ahead! May the Lord Keep and Bless you.

Andi said...

I am:
30% Analytical
20% Amiable
25% Expressive
25% Driver

Lately, I always end up really close on personality tests it seems. So, I wonder if this means that I am balanced or conflicted???

I have saved this questionairre & I am going to take it at some other time.