Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

I spent my Valentine's Day with two of my beloved: my God and my Mother. Traditionally Valentine's Day is one of the most special days of the year. It's kind of in between Christmas and Easter. If love is the theme of Valentine's day, we certainly can celebrate that. God is love, and He showed His love for us by sending His only begotten Son to die on a cross for the sins of the world - one big Valentine to the whole world! For God so loved the world.... Hallelujah!

Valentine's Day is to celebrate romantic love. C.S. Lewis points out in his famous book "The Four Loves", although romantic love can be exploited and used for selfish gain, it can also be a picture of the divine. It's through romantic love that we see, in human experience, glimpses of what God's great love is like. God created us for intimacy with Himself. As close as a husband and wife can get, it's probably not as close as we will be to God in heaven.

So how did you celebrate your Valentine's Day?

3 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

I am afraid I do not celebrate Valentines day.

God Bless

Kitty Cheng said...

That's fair enough Matthew.

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day! God bless! =)