Wednesday, January 09, 2008

How To Keep Our Soul In Shape

I know that many people have 'being fit physically' as their New Year Resolution, but for me, I think having a fit soul is just as, if not more, important!

I read that when Philip Yancey turned 50, he had a complete physical as well as a spiritual checkup. During his spiritual checkup, he pondered what he needed to change to keep his soul in shape.

He came up with a spiritual action plan for his next 50 years, which I found very inspiring. Below is a summary of his spiritual action plan:

(1) Question your doubts as much as your faith.
(2) Do not attempt this journey alone.
(3) Allow the good (eg:natural beauty,encouraging words)to penetrate in your life.
(4) For your own sake, simplify.
(5) Find something that allows you to feel God's pleasure.
(6) Always "err," as God does, on the side of freedom, mercy, and compassion.
(7) Don't be ashamed. "I am not ashamed of the gospel," Paul told the Romans.
(8) Remember, those Christians who peeve you so much—God chose them too.
(9) Forgive, daily, those who caused the wounds that keep you from wholeness.

Have you done your spiritual checkup in the New Year yet? As Philip Yancey said, our spiritual checkup offers one clear advantage over our physical checkup: "no matter what I do my body will continue to deteriorate, but, spiritually I can look forward to growth and renewed vigor as long as I listen and then act on what I hear God saying." Meaningful isn't it?

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Hey Kitty, nice post, thanks for the points for a "spiritual check-up" from Phillip Yancey. And Happy New Year!

Cheers, Thomas

Kitty Cheng said...

Thanks Thomas for dropping by my blog. Yes Philip Yancey's spiritual check-up gives us good tips on keeping our soul in shape. Happy New Year to you too mate!

audrey` said...

Wow!
This is a very important post.
We need not wait til we're 50 ^grin^
(((HUGS)))