Friday, June 09, 2006

Silence Is Golden?

In an increasingly busy and stressful world, more and more people are visiting retreats in an attempt to calm their souls. Many people just desire to have peace, solitude and quietness - for some, it means a space to be alone.

As much as I am an extrovert, and need to be with people to get 'energised', I am also aware that there are too many external stimuli around me. At times, my head would continue to keep spinning and asking questions, and thinking about issues and stuff. So even if I stop being stimulated externally, my inner world needs to be silent as well. I feel that I am so often reactive. I do believe that silence is of great value in the right contexts at the right times. "A time to be silent and a time to speak."

So do you believe that silence is golden? and if so, when?

10 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

You would appreciate Finland. Tehy like their silence.

Yes, I agree that silence is really great. Have as much of it as you want. It will do you no harm.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Corry said...

I think silence is definitely golden when it comes to feelings and reacting to them. At those times it's better to shut up and consider. Reacting to those feelings only makes things worse.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool vents all his feelings, But a wise man holds them back.


God's Grace.

God's Grace.

Kitty Cheng said...

Matthew, if I went to Finland, the people there might find me a bit too noisy! ;)

Kitty Cheng said...

Corry, I certainly need to learn to remain silent when it comes to reacting to feelings, and I tend to do that! Thanks for the great reminder of Proverbs 29:11

Ross said...

It's a difficult discipline for us urban dwellers, but I heartily agree that solitude, in appropriate quantities, can be highly beneficial for recharging your spiritual batteries.

audrey` said...

Solitary silence and peace while sewing :)
God bless.

Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Ross, I agree with you there totally, and I think urban dwellers should be even more committed to finding the space to enjoy silence in our daily lives.

Kitty Cheng said...

Audrey, wow that's a great idea, although I am not good at sewing at all hehe ;) I like spending my solitude in reading or writing.

audrey` said...

I like your idea very much :)

Kitty Cheng said...

Audrey, I wish I could sew as well as you though ;)