Tuesday, June 03, 2014

The Importance of a Quiet Mind


Since I've started practicing mindfulness, I have a new appreciation towards a quiet mind. One of the things that most people want is this inner peace, reduced stress, less worry, and peace of mind.

Personally some of the most profound experiences of stillness, inner quiet, and peace of mind I have experienced in my life occurred while praying, walking in nature, sipping a cup of tea, looking over the ocean and enjoying the experience of being alive. And as I've recently discovered, paying attention on purpose, to the present moment, non judgmentally surely helps us experience inner peace.

Below are some quotes about the importance of a quiet mind that I love. Hope they encourage you to see the importance of a quiet mind:

“... in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength ...” - Isaiah 30:15

"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear." - Baba Ram Dass

“Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace ...” - Isaiah 26:3

“Be still, and know ...” - Psalm 46:10
“... Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.” - Jesus (Mark 4:39)
“A peaceful mind generates power.” - Norman Vincent Peale

"Make haste slowly." - Zen saying
 
“... be transformed by the renewing of your minds ...” - Romans 12:2
"Awareness in itself is healing." - Fritz Pearls

"When there is a quiet mind, there is nothing to fear, for all fear exists only within the thoughts of the mind." - Rita Friedman

If you are like me, someone who is used to engaging in many activities and always having many thoughts in your mind, starting to nurture a quiet mind through being still can be challenging. I have started to “practice” this state of mind as much as I can, using what I already have in front of me as a reminder to be mindful and aware.  If you remain open for practicing the Presence of God, peace and calm can happen to you, and quietness will certainly be your strength in His strength.



No comments: