Monday, February 21, 2005

My story thus far

I was born into a Buddhist (with ancestor worship) family in Hong Kong. My parents brought me to a Christian primary school because they felt that Christian schools were better academically. Through religious education, I heard about the stories of Jesus, but Christ never meant much to me then. During grade five, I had a very high fever and was admitted to hospital. A couple from a nearby church came to do hospital visitation and witnessed to me, I really sensed God's love in a way that I had not before, so I accepted Jesus as my Saviour and Lord on this day, while I was still very sick. That night my life changed, and it has never gone back :)

I came to live in Melbourne when I was seventeen, and God blessed me with a church family where I was discipled and grew up spiritually. In May 1994 during a missions conference God called me to serve Him through a sermon. That moment I was moved to tears, and I responded to the Lord’s call and committed myself to His service in mission. In July of the same year, God spoke to me again through the great grandson of Hudson Taylor, who came to Melbourne to share in a series of meetings titled “I commit my life to you”--- this was when I joyfully responded to God saying : “LORD, may you use my life for Your purposes”.

However, as God had declared “My thoughts are not your thoughts” , and throughout the next few years after that my life was turned upside down and chaos were everywhere and my heart was shattered by various crises. Nevertheless, I can see how God has used these experiences to make me the person I am today. I learned that the most difficult times are the ones in which God seems to be most at work in my life, strengthening my weak spots, comforting my hurts, and drawing me to greater dependence on Him.

On the New Year’s Eve of 2000, I had an opportunity to reflect upon my life. On this very night, I asked God for direction in the new millennium. The Lord’s Word came to me through Isaiah 6:5, saying “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us ?” I was reminded of my commitment to serve Him with my life. Through the touching of the Holy Spirit, I responded to God “Here am I. Send me !”. The Lord then sent me to do Intercultural Studies at Tabor Bible College, and now as a mission mobilizer in World Team Australia.

No comments: