1. Expressing feelings helps us to understand others, and help others to understand us more.
- 5 levels of communication - greeting, exchange information, share opinions, express some feelings, express all feelings. The best levels are the last two.
2. Expressing feelings helps us to be healthy.
- when we are emotional or stressed, our physical health is affected negatively. The pituitary glands of our hypothalamus will secrete a hormone called adrenalin during fight or flight conditions, which is harmful to our bodies. Therefore, it's important for us to deal with our emotion by sharing our feelings.
3. Expressing feelings is the first step of self-acceptance.
- When we courageously express our feelings, we are honestly facing ourselves, and accepting ourselves.
My mother was saying to me tonight that I am normally quite an expressive person, but at times when it comes to conflicts, I can go into avoidance mode. I have been feeling moody, emotional and vulnerable lately, yet I praise my Lord that He will never leave me or forsake me, no matter what! I pray that I could express my feelings in loving ways, not just good feelings, but bad ones as well. Sometimes I find it difficult to be honest.