Thursday, November 17, 2005

12 Days Of Christmas

In preparation of a children's Christmas presentation at CCBC on "12 Days of Christmas", I found myself drawn into the symbolism of it. The story behind is just so wonderful! It is really refreshing and constantly putting a smile on my face as I sing the song and reflect on the special spiritual meaning behind the gifts from 'my true love'. Pray that the kids will be inspired and blessed by it.

The symbolism of The Twelve Days of Christmas are as follows:

1 True Love refers to God, A Patridge in a Pear Tree refers to Jesus
2 Turtle Doves refers to the Old and New Testaments
3 French Hens refers to Faith, Hope and Love
4 Calling Birds refers to the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists
5 Golden Rings refers to the first Five Books of the Old Testament, the "Pentateuch", which gives the history of man's fall from grace
6 Geese A-laying refers to the six days of creation
7 Swans A-swimming refers to the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the seven sacraments
8 Maids A-milking refers to the eight beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing refers to the nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords A-leaping refers to the ten commandments
11 Pipers Piping refers to the eleven faithful apostles
12 Drummers Drumming refers to the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed

Which one do you like best?

2 comments:

An Ordinary Christian said...

I pray that the children will be inspired by that. I liked the first day best, on which all the others rest/depend.

Kitty Cheng said...

I agree with you there Andrea.