Monday, March 06, 2006

Bruce Almighty

Last night the movie 'Bruce Almighty' was shown on national television. And I really enjoyed watching it! The story was about Bruce Nolan, a TV reporter, who is not satisfied with almost everything in his life, and always complains about God. God appears in human form, giving Bruce the almighty powers, and challenges Bruce to take on the big job of running the world to see if he can do it any better.

One of the central messages and the tagline of this movie is "if you want a miracle, BE A MIRACLE!" And that really hit home to me! I do believe that we can be a miracle and make things happen with God's help, and in God's strength. Towards the end, Bruce realised that he needed to trust in God, and not try to be god himself. It's probably a common mentality that if people could run the world, they would certainly make it better. Some would end world hunger, some would make world peace, and others would just fix the problems in their own lives and relationships etc. But few people would ever consider the burden and awesome responsibility of the universe's most absolute and supreme power, and how would prayers be answered? Surely only God can do that as He is the Creator. I liked the fact that Bruce learned what was important in his life, and he said a really good prayer from his heart, wishing the best for his girl friend before going back to the 'earth'. That was really touching!

I think `Bruce Almighty' is both meaningful and humorous. It also reminds me that God does have a great sense of humor. Do you agree?

18 comments:

Corry said...

It's odd how we hardly consider God having a sense of humor, but He does. He knows what's needed, when it's needed. Better then we do, hehe.

God's Grace.

Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Melanie, Perfect Stranger sounds good. I will certainly check it out.

Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Hanni, thanks for visiting my blog, and the link to "Bless Biscotti Brain" day.

Kitty Cheng said...

Amen Corry. Our God surely knows what is best for us hehe.

Kimber said...

I can hear God laughing out loud at this movie..we really liked it, and laughed really really hard at somethings :)

Glad you enjoyed it too!

Bless ya!

Kitty Cheng said...

Kimber, yes I can imagine God having a smiling face too.

Anonymous said...

that movie, although funny, made a lot of sense. i liked it. =)

Kitty Cheng said...

Yes I agree with you totally there Pia.

David U said...

Kitty, I linked to your blog thru Melanie's. Great stuff here!
Keep em coming!

DU

Matthew Celestine said...

It is good to have a sense of humour, but I find nearly all jokes involving God to be offensive.

I would never watch a film like that. I could not sit through it.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

audrey` said...

I just drop by to say HI! =P
Take care, Kitty :)

Kitty Cheng said...

Thanks for coming, and the kind comments David.

Kitty Cheng said...

Why is it that you find nearly all jokes involving God to be offensive? Personally, I think some of the jokes / humour in Bruce Almighty about God actually gets people thinking more about God's character.

I respect your perspective though. God Bless!

Kitty Cheng said...

Hi hi Audrey. YOu take care too my dear sis.

Mark D said...

Yes, I liked that movie very much, and I agree with about the humor. If I remember correctly, most of the humor was based on Bruce trying to fill God's shoes rather than the type of humor that mocks God or attacks His deity. Humor in the latter category does offend me, so I can see some of the point Matthew was making. Jim Carrey cracks me up. Have you ever seen Dumb and Dumber? Probably not much of a spiritual message in that one, but laughter and a merry heart does good like a medicine.

Kitty Cheng said...

I agree with you there Mark. Laughter is something that God created, and is one of the best medicines.

Garth said...

I continue to hear God drop wonderful messages in movie lines. it was a good movie that had another layer if you wated to see it. Perhaps this comment would also fit under your "Where have you seen God" post

Kitty Cheng said...

Yes me too! I guess that's why I enjoy watching movies so much - as God can truly 'turn up' in the movie theatre, or wherever we watch the movie (dvd at home?). Yes God can really be seen everywhere. Hallelujah!