This Tuesday at LivingRoom we had our big gathering where a sermon on money and generosity was preached by Darren Rowse. The following is a summary of the sharing:
- There are 2350 verses on money in the Bible. In fact, the topic of money and possessions appears more than almost any other topic (it's second only to 'the Kingdom of God'). So we can see that money is something on God's mind quite a bit.
- Some words / ideas of what the group thought of when they thought of money include consumerism, security, power, happiness, status, evil, sign of achievement or success,"If you have it, spend it!", "if you don't have it, there is something wrong!", money is a private thing.
- Messages that the church tells us about money include: money is a sign of blessing, "the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil: (1 Timothy 6:10), it's hard for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God, prosperity doctrine, poverty theology, tithing etc.
Darren talked about 7 themes of money and giving:
- Everything is God's, including money of course (Psalms 24:1, Haggai 2:8)
- Motivation is more important than the act (2 Cor 9)
- Giving is in the same context as needs (Acts 2 and 4)
- Secrecy and humility (Matthew 6)
- There is an impulse towards simplicity
- Reward and blessing (Matthew 6)
- Sacrifice (Luke 21)
So what are your ideas about money, and how do you feel about money personally?