Saturday, March 18, 2006

Decision Making

There are times in my life where I go back and forth to decide whether I should do this and that, while often times I just make up my mind and go for it. This morning, I received an email forward from a good friend, and it really got me thinking. I would like to share it with you:

Elijah went up before the people and said, "How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal is God, follow him." But the people said nothing. (1 Kings 18:21)

A long time ago, when the world was young, the birds and the beasts were engaged in a bitter war. The bat, not wanting to be on the losing side, whichever that might be, tried to be on both sides. Whenever the birds won a battle, he would fly with them, telling everyone he was a bird. When the beasts won, he would walk around, assuring everyone that he was a beast. It didn't take long for the bat's hypocrisy to be discovered. He was rejected by both the birds and the beasts. From that day on the bat has had to go into hiding. To this day, he lives in dark caves, only daring to come out at night."

Don't waver between two opinions today. Instead, follow God wholeheartedly. It could well be that at work or at home today you will be very tempted to flit back and forth from one 'camp' to another 'camp'. I encourage you not to do that. Make up your mind right now whom you will serve and live for today - and then stick to it. Will it be Almighty God? Or will it be the other enticements around you that can trap you in their web - money, pleasure, position, power, 'saving face' even when you know you are wrong, and so on. It's your call - your choice. But remember, eternal consequences could well be at stake here either for you or for other people. Yes, let's make wise and God-honoring choices today, and everyday!

What do you think?

14 comments:

An Ordinary Christian said...

I will serve the Lord. BTW, after three different days that I have tried to post to you, I finally made it - I hope!

Matthew Celestine said...

Good thoughts.

Kitty Cheng said...

I wonder why you couldn't post to me. I am glad you finally made it though :)

Kitty Cheng said...

I agree Matthew.

Corry said...

Good advice, you can't serve two masters.
Serving and pleasing God is what it is all about, no matter how enticing all the wordly things may seem to be. Nothing good comes from the last:-)

Love you, sis.

God's Grace.

Mark D said...

Amen!!

Great post!

Kc said...

Drawing from my own experience (and foolish philosphy) it seems I should only act when my heart and head are in agreement. Does this mean I'm batty? ;-)

Great post!

Kitty Cheng said...

That's so true Corry. We can only serve God, or Mammon. Love you too :)

Kitty Cheng said...

Thanks Mark!

Kitty Cheng said...

So Kc, are your heart and head always in agreement? ;) Are you referring to feelings and thinking?

Kc said...

No, there are times I have to wait. Those times require patience, something I could always use more of. ;-)

By heart I mean more than just desire or emotion. I mean conviction. By head I mean reasoning, not just thoughts. Most times I can reason through just about anything but I find it best to only act when I'm convinced it's best to do so. Then there are times when I'm convicted to do something but the way just isn't clear. Usually I have to wait for the "door" to open in those instances.

audrey` said...

Yeah!
Let Jesus take the wheels :)
We'll just follow Him.

Kitty Cheng said...

That makes lots of sense Kc.

Kitty Cheng said...

I agree Audrey...but so often I find myself being guilty of taking the wheels of my life :(